- Print this page
- Decrease the text size
- Increase the text size
The NSW Government's privacy practices in collecting, storing, using and disclosing personal are regulated by the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 (NSW) and the Privacy Code of Practice (General) 2003 (NSW). These laws have privacy principles that tell us:
- what information we can collect and how we collect it
- how we store and protect personal information
- how you can find out what information we hold and correct it if it is wrong
- how we can use and disclose your information
- how you can complain about breaches of your privacy.
This privacy notice applies to the Department of Family and Community Services (the Department) which consists of the following entities: FACS Housing, the Land and Housing Corporation, the Aboriginal Housing Office and Ageing, Disability and Home Care, Community Services. The Department and its related agencies comply with NSW privacy legislation when collecting and managing personal information.
The information we collect from you or from an authorised third party will be held by the entity that collects it. It will be used to deliver services and to meet our legal responsibilities. You agree that we may also use your information within the Department as a whole to plan, coordinate and improve the way we provide services. The Department is also legally authorised to disclose information to outside bodies in certain circumstances, including where:
- the disclosure is directly related to the purpose for which the information was collected and FACS Housing does not believe you would object to that disclosure;
- you are reasonable likely to have been aware (including where notified in this Privacy Notice) that the information is usually disclosed to such other body;
- FACS Housing believes, on reasonable grounds, that the disclosure is necessary to prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to the life or health of a person; or
- you have given us your consent to such disclosure.
Please read the easy-English version of this privacy notice.
our FACS privacy factsheet for clients and external stakeholders
or by calling: 02 9377 6000 or TTY 02 9377 6167
Overview (Privacy Statement)
Collection of information
In the course of using the MyHousing Portal (the Website), you may provide us with personal information. We may also collect your information from third parties in accordance with NSW privacy legislation.
Disclosure of information
Your information will not be disclosed to members of the public unless there is a lawful reason for its disclosure.
Your information may be passed between employees of FACS Housing where it is required in the normal course of their duties and in accordance with legislation.
FACS Housing will only provide your personal information to external organisations where there is a lawful reason to do so or, where an exemption has been granted and is documented in the 'Privacy Code of Practice (2003)' or in a Direction made by the NSW Privacy Commissioner or there is a current signed authority of disclosure.
We collect your contact information, including telephone numbers, email address, postal address and emergency contact details.
In addition, when you look at the pages on the Website our computers automatically record information that identifies, for each page accessed:
- the IP (Internet Protocol) address of the machine which has accessed it;
- the IP address of your server;
- the date and time of your visit to the Website;
- the pages accessed and documents downloaded from the Website;
- the previous site visited; and
- the type of browser and operating system you have used to access the Website.
In addition to the use of information as set out above, the information collected during each visit is aggregated with similar logged information and published in reports in order for FACS Housing to identify patterns of usage of the Website. This will assist us in improving the Website and the services offered on it.
FACS Housing will collect, use and disclose more extensive information than stated above in the following circumstances:
- unauthorised attempts to access files which are not published FACS Housing pages;
- unauthorised tampering or interference with files published on the Website;
- unauthorised attempts to index the contents of the Website;
- attempts to intercept messages of other users of the Website;
- communications which are defamatory, abusive, vilify individuals or groups or which give rise to a suspicion that an offence is being committed; and
- attempts to otherwise compromise the security of the web server, breach the laws of the State of New South Wales or Commonwealth of Australia, or interfere with the enjoyment of the Website by other users.
FACS Housing reserves the right to make disclosures to relevant authorities where the use of the Website raises a suspicion that an offence is being, or has been, committed.
In the event of an investigation, FACS Housing will provide access to data to any law enforcement agency that may exercise a warrant to inspect our logs.
Yes. Information collected is stored in an appropriately secure format by taking such security safeguards as are reasonable in the circumstances against loss and unauthorised access, use, modification, disclosure or other misuse. Your information is held by FACS Housing for archival purposes.
FACS Housing captures the information relating to your use of the Website on its own computers. Access to the raw data is restricted to a limited number of officers in FACS Housing for the purpose of analysis and to report on the success of FACS Housing in meeting its communication and access objectives.
You agree that staff may disclose an individual's information in joint meetings with other agencies where a Service Agreement, Memorandum of Understanding or similar document is in place and the NSW privacy legislation or relevant Privacy Code of Practice permits the disclosure, or when seeking the professional opinion of another staff member. However, they will withhold personal information that is not relevant to the matter being discussed.
The provision of your information to us is mandatory if you wish to use our services. If you do not provide us with the information that we require, we may not be able to provide you with services or allow you to access or use the Website.
At your request, we will provide you with access to all personal information about you that we hold. We will provide you with that access without undue delay or expense.
At your request, we will make appropriate amendments to the personal information about you that we hold to ensure it is accurate, relevant, up to date, complete and not misleading.
If we are not prepared to amend your information, we will (if you request it) take such steps as are reasonable to attach to the information a statement provided by you of the amendment sought.
FACS Housing collects and holds your information. You may contact FACS Housing to request such access and/or correction at:
Phone: 02 9377 6000 or TTY 02 9377 6167
Address: 223-239 Liverpool Road, Ashfield NSW 2131
The Website uses Google Analytics, a service which transmits website traffic data to Google servers in the United States. Google Analytics does not identify individual users or associate individual IP addresses with any other data held by Google. We use reports provided by Google Analytics to help us understand website traffic and webpage usage.
The information collected during each visit is aggregated with similar logged information and published in reports so FACS Housing can identify patterns of usage of the Website. This assists us in improving the site and the services offered on it.
FACS Housing will not disclose or publish information that identifies individual machines, or potentially identifies sub-groupings of addresses, without consent and otherwise will act in accordance with the New South Wales Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998.