Outside your home

If you have space for a garden it can be a great way to relax and keep you healthy. Housing NSW residents are encouraged to use and improve their gardens.

  • It is best to water your garden early in the morning or late in the afternoon. Check for local water restrictions in your area.
  • Adding mulch to your garden will reduce the need to water as often.
  • Native plants often need less water and care than other plant varieties.
  • Collect rain water in buckets and drums for your garden. But remember to empty the buckets regularly so you don't encourage mosquitoes.
  • Use a broom to clean up leaves, grass clippings, dirt, dust or general litter on paths or driveways instead of hosing.

If you live in an apartment building and have neighbours who are interested in gardening, consider starting a community garden. For information about the Community Greening Program call (02) 9231 8363.

Worm farming and composting

Worm farming and composting are fantastic ways to reduce the amount of waste going to landfill while feeding your garden with organic fertiliser.

Worm farms are great for people with limited space as they are compact and produce lovely liquid organic fertiliser which you can use on your garden or give away to friends. Worms can eat away food scraps in a matter of days when in the right conditions.

Compost bins are great for those with bigger gardens and lawns. A healthy compost bin likes a combination of food scraps, lawn clippings and leaves.

Many local councils offer free worm farming and composting workshops and will often provide discounts or free products to participants. Contact your local council to see if workshops are available in your area.

Some Housing NSW apartment buildings are located near community gardens or have common area gardens where worm farming or composting is available. If you and your neighbours are interested in communal worm farming, composting or a community garden in your area contact your client service team to find out if it is possible.

Waste and recycling problems

For residents who have their own waste and recycling bins, if you have a problem, such as a missing bin, damaged wheels or lids, contact your local council to request to have them repaired or replaced.

Illegal dumping

Illegal dumping is a serious problem, costing thousands of dollars every year. Illegal dumping is where unwanted items are placed on public or private property. People caught dumping illegally can be fined $750 on the spot.

Housing NSW spends thousands of dollars paying for the clean up of illegal dumping - money which could otherwise be spent on maintenance or housing upgrades.

Your council may offer free clean up services to remove large household items that you no longer want. If you live in a house, contact your local council to find out about clean up services available to you. Clean up services are usually on a roster or can be booked in on request.

For residents living in apartments and town houses, Housing NSW may be able to assist in organising a clean up for your whole building. If you and your neighbours need help to organise a clean up, contact your client service officer.

Did you know?

Gardens account for around 25 percent of all household water consumption.

Top of page