Tenant's Choice

This section gives brief overview on the choices public housing tenants can make regarding moving out of their current property.

It provides information about moving out of public housing, the Mutual Exchange program, Transfers and Recognition as a Tenant.

Social housing tenants, including public housing tenants, may apply for a transfer to another property if their current property is no longer suitable for their needs.

For information on Transfer, go to the Housing Pathways website

Moving Out

Vacating a Property

When tenants decide to leave public housing they should give the Housing NSW 21 days notice in writing, or 14 days notice in writing if the tenant is on a fixed term Tenancy Agreement.

For more information please see the Ending a Tenancy Policy.

Vacated Accounts

When tenants move out of a property there may be amounts remaining in their accounts. This is known as a Vacated Account.

More information is available in the Account Management Policy

Mutual Exchange Program

The Mutual Exchange Program provides a way for Housing NSW tenants to move to a location they prefer, or to get more suitable accommodation, by exchanging with another Housing NSW tenant.

Housing NSW provides a computer matching service to help tenants find and contact other tenants living in Housing NSW properties that are suitable to mutually exchange. An exchange may involve more than two tenants.

The time taken to find a match depends on the availability of tenants in the desired location who want to exchange.

Housing NSW will only approve a mutual exchanges if:

  • Rent accounts are up to date
  • Water usage accounts are up to date
  • The number of bedrooms is appropriate to the size of the household
  • Any damage to the current dwelling is fixed before moving
  • Household income level does not exceed the income eligibility limits for public housing (this condition may by waived if the exchange is related to a medical condition or disability that means the current housing is unsuitable)
  • There are no substantiated nuisance and annoyance complaints against the tenancy
  • The tenant agrees to accept the relevant type and length of Tenancy Agreement when they move.

To apply for registration on the Mutual Exchange Program go to the Housing Pathways website.

Recognition as a Tenant

Recognition as a tenant or succession is when Housing NSW agrees to transfer a tenant's right to live in a Housing NSW, Aboriginal Housing Office or Aboriginal Welfare Board property to another member of their household.
This may occur if the tenant dies or leaves the property due to imprisonment, ill health or disability.
Housing NSW provides Recognition as a Tenant to ensure that household members will not be made homeless or forced to suffer undue hardship because the tenant has died or left the property.

For more information see the Changing a Tenancy Policy.

To apply for Recognition as a Tenant, go to the Housing Pathways website