Payment options for clients

Payment options for clients

May 2014

Payment options for clients

There are a number of easy ways to pay your rent, water, repairs and other bills.

Payment options for clients

Family and Community Services (FACS) Housing’s preferred payment methods are: online, BPAY, Australia Post, Centrelink deductions, or a Service NSW Centre.

Online (available 24/7)

On the FACS Housing website, www.housing.nsw.gov.au, select the Payment Options button and then select the ‘Pay now’ link. This will take you to a secure online page. You will need to register your banking details the first time you pay. Once registered, allocate the amount you wish to pay for each account (e.g. Rentstart Bond Loan, rent, water) and follow the instructions to complete the transaction. You will need your payment reference number (PRN) to make payments, which is found on your payment card or your quarterly statement from FACS Housing.

BPAY gives you the option of paying your accounts by telephone or by Internet banking 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. To use BPAY, you need to register for Internet or phone banking with your bank or credit union. Sometimes you can set up regular payments through BPAY. Check if you can do this with your bank or credit union.

To pay rent, water and other tenancy related charges you will need to use the FACS Housing Biller Code 334292 and relevant payment reference number (PRN).

To repay a Rentstart Bond Loan you will need the FACS Housing Bond Loan Biller Code 203570 and relevant PRN.

Your PRNs are found on your quarterly statement or by contacting FACS Housing. You can record your PRNs on the space provided on this fact sheet for your future reference. If you are paying more than one account, you will need to complete a separate transaction for each account.

You can pay your Rentstart Bond Loan, FACS Housing rent and other accounts in person at any Australia Post Office or Service NSW Centre with your payment card. You need to tell Australia Post or Service NSW Centre staff which account you are paying.

If you receive an income from Centrelink, the easiest way to make a payment to FACS Housing is through Centrelink Deductions.

This free scheme allows you to have your payments automatically deducted from your pension or allowance, and you can stop payments at any time.

To use Centrelink deductions complete the relevant form, available at your local FACS Housing office, and return it to us. When we receive your application, we will advise Centrelink that you wish to join the scheme. They will then write to let you know when your payments will commence.

The direct debit scheme allows you to have your rent and water charges paid directly from your bank or credit union account. Payments may be deducted weekly or fortnightly and will be processed from your account on a Thursday.

The bank or credit union requires ten working days to process the request. The deductions will start on a Thursday after two full rental weeks have passed.

Your bank or credit union will advise us if there are insufficient funds in your account to make your payment. If you do not have enough money in your account, you will be charged a dishonour fee.

To use the scheme, complete and return the Direct Debit Request form available at your local FACS Housing office.

*Note: Direct Debit is not a payment option for Rentstart Bond Loans.

Use this box to record your payment reference numbers for your information

Rent PRN
Water PRN
Repairs PRN
Former Debt PRN
Bond Loan PRN

Are all your questions answered?

For more information call the Housing Contact Centre on 1800 422 322, visit www.housing.nsw.gov.au, or visit your local FACS office.

Translation service

If you need help with interpreting or translation because English is not your first language, phone the All Graduates Translating and Interpreting Service on 1300 652 488. They will phone the housing organisation and interpret for you for free.

إذا كنت بحاجة للمساعدة في الترجمة الشفهية أو الترجمة لأن اللغة الإنجليزية ليست لغتك الأولى، اتصل بشركة "أول جراديويتس" All Graduates على الرقم 1300 652 488.

如果你的母語不是英語,需要口譯或筆譯幫助,請致電All Graduates,電話號碼:1300 652 488。

Nếu quý vị cần hỗ trợ biên dịch hoặc phiên dịch vì tiếng Anh không phải là ngôn ngữ chính của quý vị, vui lòng gọi All Graduates theo số 1300 652 488.