Pay TV

Pay TV

Sep 2016

Pay TV

There are many FACS, local government and other rules which affect the installation of pay television in your home.

These rules depend on the age, type and location of the property you live in. Installing pay television also involves making structural changes to the building. For these reasons, tenants must obtain written approval from FACS before signing a contract with their chosen pay television service provider and allowing facilities to be installed.

You need to send us a letter or fill out a form at your local FACS Office. In the letter or form, tell us the name of the service provider you want to subscribe to.

Alternatively, you can ask the service provider to write to us on your behalf.

Approval isn’t granted automatically. When the request is received, we will look at the rules affecting the installation of pay TV in your home and whether or not an Access Agreement exists between FACS and your chosen service provider.

We will also consider the possible impact for your neighbours and the number of antennas and dishes already on the building.

Once we have done this, we’ll tell you and/or the service provider in writing whether or not your request has been given “in principle” approval.

The service provider is then required to outline where the dish or antennae will be installed; if this is a new installation or whether  they are using an existing dish; how they intend to cable common areas and any other relevant technical information/drawings.

Once  this information is received from the service provider, we will evaluate it, assess any other local government or body corporate issues and make our decision.

It is up to the service provider to resolve any local government, heritage or body corporate issues as detailed in their Access Agreement with us.

If a request for approval is declined, we will explain the reasons for this decision in the letter.

An Access Agreement is a signed agreement between FACS and a third party, setting out the requirements when accessing our properties. Work cannot be undertaken at our properties unless an agreement is in place and should be done between 8.00am and 6.00pm Monday to Friday.

An Access Agreement doesn’t guarantee final approval. There are other potential issues which could affect whether or not final approval is granted. These include local government, body corporate, heritage and other technical issues.

A detailed list of pay TV service providers who currently have an Access Agreement with FACS is available online or at your local FACS Office.

Companies wishing to establish an Access Agreement can write to our FACS  Legal Services Department at Locked Bag 4001 Ashfield BC 1800.

Providing your dwelling isn’t heritage listed, headleased or local government restrictions apply we will generally approve the installation of a satellite dish or antenna on the condition that it is installed on the roof, and in a position and angle, that has the least visual impact from the street.

There are restrictions on the number of dishes and antennas that can be installed on our properties. Allowing the erection of multiple dishes or antennas could result in your complex looking unsightly.

If you live in a unit, we are generally only able to consider your request if an Access Agreement covering central cabling of the building exists between FACS and your chosen service provider.

For their own financial reasons, some service providers choose not to enter into an Access Agreement which covers the central cabling of buildings or may limit the number of dwellings they offer their service to.

If you do not have written approval, you are breaking the conditions of your Tenancy Agreement by allowing a service provider to install a satellite dish or antenna on your property. This will result in us taking action for the removal of the dish or antenna and charging you or the service provider for the cost of the removal.

If your request is approved, your service provider is responsible for all costs associated with installing their facilities.

They are also responsible for all customer service matters such as fixing any damage to your home caused by the installation of its facilities, poor picture reception, maintenance of its service, technical issues and collection of subscription payments. So please do not contact FACS about these service issues.

The service provider is also responsible for resolving any heritage, body corporate or local government issues.

You are responsible for meeting the terms of the contract you signed with your service provider, including paying your subscription fees to the company.

If you disagree with our decision, you should first discuss your concerns with your Client Service Officer. The next step if you still believe we made an incorrect decision, is to ask for a formal review of the decision.

For information on how reviews work, ask the Client Service Officer for a copy of the fact sheet Reviewing Decisions, or go to our website www.housing.nsw.gov.au to read the Appeals and Review of Decisions Policy.

Decisions about pay television cannot be reviewed by the Housing Appeals Committee.

If you have any questions about the information in this fact sheet or any other housing matter, please contact your local FACS office.

Are all your questions answered?

For more information call the Housing Contact Centre on 1800 422 322, visit www.housing.nsw.gov.au, or visit your local FACS office.

Translation service

If you need help with interpreting or translation because English is not your first language, phone the All Graduates Translating and Interpreting Service on 1300 652 488. They will phone the housing organisation and interpret for you for free.

إذا كنت بحاجة للمساعدة في الترجمة الشفهية أو الترجمة لأن اللغة الإنجليزية ليست لغتك الأولى، اتصل بشركة "أول جراديويتس" All Graduates على الرقم 1300 652 488.

如果你的母語不是英語,需要口譯或筆譯幫助,請致電All Graduates,電話號碼:1300 652 488。

Nếu quý vị cần hỗ trợ biên dịch hoặc phiên dịch vì tiếng Anh không phải là ngôn ngữ chính của quý vị, vui lòng gọi All Graduates theo số 1300 652 488.